POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray page design ? : Re: New POV-Ray page design ? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray page design ?
From: Matthew Bennett
Date: 20 Jun 2000 18:53:30
Message: <394ff5ea@news.povray.org>
"Simen Kvaal" <sim### [at] studentmatnatuiono> wrote in message
> OH THAT WOMAN ANNOYS ME!
>
> - It scares people away, because of the semi-nudity.

People aren't that Victorian, surely?...

> - It's so un-povish.

Meaning it's not made of a load of primatives stuck together?  Define what a
POV image looks like.

> - It's ugly.

It could be worse...

> No, seriously. I think that having a semi-nude model not even generated in
> Povray on the front page; splashing in your face like that can scare some
> people away; especially younger people. And _I'd_ doubt the seriousness of
> the product.

Sorry, but I really don't see it scaring away younger people... unless they
were rather sheltered 8 year olds or something, but in which case I doubt
they'd be too interested in POV development in any case.  Come on, be
realistic!

> And certainly no-one wants to claim that this is made in Povray. Rendered,
> perhaps, but that's not good enough; whatever reason the designer had to
put
> it up.

Why isn't it good enough?  Do we want to say "if you want to make any type
of image with POV, you've got to read the manual from cover to cover and
learn plenty of POV script"?  Or do we perhaps want to show a more complete
range of possibilities, which, surprisingly enough, does actually allow for
external design too ~without~ hand coding.  It's true.  Not everyone gets
their pleasures from POV by hand-coding every pixel themselves - some might
even argue it allows more time for creativity.

> And it's not a very pretty woman, either. Too skinny. That kind of woman
> that makes girls try to loose weight, and so on. I mean it.

Doesn't the suggestion of adding a fatter model to povray.org to discourage
teenage dieting sound just a little silly to you?  I very much doubt whether
a single teenage girl would intentionally visit the site anyway.

Sorry, I don't mean to take it all out on you but I've got a little fed up
of reading some of the complaints about that one image - I really didn't
think the POV community were quite so... erm... old, boring and dull (to put
it frankly).  With some, apparently increasingly rare, exceptions of course.
I don't mean to offend anyone (though quite obviously this post would have
done in any case) but it's all just a little frustrating.

Matt